Greek Meatballs with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce:
- 6 red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped mint
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Prepare your peppers: Cut each pepper in half or thirds, strip membrane, de-seed, and brush the tops with olive oil.
- Place peppers on a baking sheet and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the peppers are nice and soft and are slightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool. Reduce the heat of the oven to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, make the meatballs. Combine the ground turkey and sausage with a whisked egg, almond flour, salt, red onion, coconut aminos, parsley, and mint. Mix well with your hands.
- Using your hands or a cookie scoop, form balls approximately 1.5 inches in diameter. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Transfer pan to the oven, and bake for about 20 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking finish the sauce. Combine the peppers, oil, vinegar, salt, and garlic into the blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Remove meatballs and serve warm drizzled with red pepper sauce over cauliflower rice, rice, or vegetable noodles. Garnish with feta cheese and additional fresh herbs (thyme, or basil), if desired.