Healthy Beef Pho
- 4 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 star anise pods
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 carrots
- 2 large ginger pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons soy
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 pound sirloin steak cut into very thin strips
- 1 package rice noodles thin or thick
- 1 bunch basil mint, cilantro of each
- 1 fresno chili
- 1/4 cup hoisin
- 1/4 cup siracha
- 1 bunch green onions cut into thin slices
- In the broiler, char onions and ginger. This will take 5-10 minutes. You want to develop a dark, almost burnt marks on the onion and ginger.
- Meanwhile, toast the whole spices in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add broth/stock, soy, fish sauce, carrots, garlic, and charred onion and ginger and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 40 minutes, or until favors develop and the broth is packed with the flavors of the spices.
- While the both develops, prepare the noodles to package directions.
- Add the cooked noodles to the bottom of a bowl. Place raw steak strips on top of the noodles. Laddle hot broth in the bowl and over steak. The hot liquid will cook the steak to a beautiful medium rare.
- Finish soup with your favorite toppings (the ingredient list of toppings is enough for about 6 bowls worth).
Image and Recipe created by Danilicious Dishes. To view the full post and find more awesome recipes go here.