Week 4 Ingredient: Beets
Roasted Beet and Arugula Salad
- 3 medium-large sized beets*
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 bag or 12-16 oz arugula
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or cashews
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or blueberries
- For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your beets: trim and remove stems. Spiralize your beets using a spiralizer or keep them whole. Coat with 1 tbsp oil and salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil, and roast for 30 minutes (turning at the 15 min mark if they are spiralized). If you are using whole beets, place them directly on the baking sheet (you will cut them after roasting). For whole beets, after 30 minutes turn over and roast another 30 mins. Remove beets from oven and let cool. If using whole beets, peel off skin and cut into cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss arugula, nuts, and dried cherries or blueberries. Add beets.
- Whisk together all salad dressing ingredients, or use a blender or food processor. Toss to coat the salad. Let sit for at least an hour in the fridge or at room temperature to let the flavors blend.
You can use all red beets or a combo of red and golden beets.