The Juna Women Podcast is a weekly discussion where Juna Founder, Sarah Kuhn, talks to Moms and experts to share their specific knowledge
In the episode, Sarah chats with Debra Pascali Bonaro, a doula, author, and documentary filmmaker.
Debra’s goal is to make sure each person has pleasure and a community of caring support during pregnancy, birth, and the transition to parenting.
In the episode Sarah and Debra cover topics like:
- The history of birth – what birth was like before it became the “medical model” as most people know birth today.
- The history of midwives – how many midwives attend births.
- Orgasmic birth. What is it? What does it mean?
- How to take your birth experience into your own hands and have the experience you want.
- The thought that birth has sexual can be really taboo and challenging.
- Intimacy after baby – how to keep your ships sailing in the same direction and get them back on course if they are going opposite ways
Debra also shares her top tips for getting the birth experience you want:
1) Be honest with yourself. Write down your fears, your hopes, your expectations.
2) Research what options are available to you. Talk with a doula in your area. Chances are they can help point you in the direction of experience you’re looking for.
3) Above all else, make sure YOU personally feel safe with whatever option you choose.
4) Whoever will be in the room during your birth should be aligned with your vision. Whether it’s your partner, midwife, doula, or Doctor, you don’t want anyone who’s not on the same page as you.
DEBRA PASCALI BONARO
Debra Pascali-Bonaro is a world-renowned inspirational speaker, filmmaker, DONA International Doula trainer, Lamaze International Childbirth Educator, author, and graduate with a degree in education from McGill University.
Debra’s retreats and workshops around the world create personal transformation as well as birth forward her desire that each person has pleasure and a community of caring support during pregnancy, birth, and the transition to parenting.
It began with the birth of her children as she celebrated the joys as well as faced challenges of parenting and a relationship that ended in divorce. She began listening to people around the world as she traveled to teach in forty countries discussing experiences of childbirth, sexuality, and parenting.
Hearing so many challenging stories, Debra became an activist to change and heal our broken maternity care system and provide parents with Nurturing Beginnings, the title of the first book she co-authored.
For the last 25 years, Debra has volunteered her time nationally and internationally to create a healthy, respectful, and equitable maternity care system.
She has long served as the Director of the International MotherBaby Childbirth Organization (IMBCO), which, with FIGO, co-created the International Childbirth Initiative (ICI): 12 Steps to Safe and Respectful MotherBaby-Family Maternity Care. Debra also serves as Co-Chair of the ICI Executive Committee and believes that the ICI sets the global gold standard for optimal maternity care.
Please subscribe to the Juna Women Podcast wherever you listen to Podcasts.
If you have feedback or know someone who would be a great guest on the show, please reach to Sarah@juna.co.