Week 13 Ingredient: Nutritional Yeast
Kale Caesar with Chickpea Croutons
FOR THE SALAD
- 3-4 bushels of your favorite type of organic kale – I used Lacinato (Purple & Curly)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans chickpeas
FOR THE DRESSING
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp capers
- juice of 1 or 2 lemons (depends how much you like lemon)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic + 2 cloves for chickpeas-minced
- smoked paprika- for chickpeas*
- water to taste (for proper consistency)
- Prepare the kale by removing the stems and rinsing
- Place kale in large bowl and pour olive oil. Massage olive oil into kale
- Preheat oven to 375
- Prepare your chickpeas by draining and rinsing and then placing on baking rack, drizzle lightly with coconut oil and mix in minced garlic,
- Roast chickpeas and garlic for 10-15 minutes, turning once and stopping when golden brown.
- Sprinkle smoked paprika*
- Meanwhile, make your dressing by combining all the ingredients into your favorite blender. If you’re making a large salad, double or triple the recipe above.
- Drizzle salad dressing into salad and toss evenly.
- Top with roasted chickpeas, and serve!
I prefer the consistency of the dressing to be slightly between a thick caesar and a vinaigrette. Not too watery, but not so creamy it doesn’t pour easily. But, if you want creamy by all means add less water! You can store excess dressing in sealed jar in fridge for one week.